Tuesday, August 14, 2012

yo man, how it going man (Work Update)

it's so funny hear people use the word "man" in interactions when they have an accent, and when they're not like highschool/college-aged guys, but older.

hey man, can you do this for me man? lot on hold for you man. hey man, how it going man.

Today there was some mandatory boring no-laptops-allowed meeting that I fell asleep in; my coworkers took pictures of me. Nothing has changed.

The thing I love about work is that multi-tasking, both logistically/mentally (remembering everything) and physically (doing other things while listening at meetings/trainings), is necessary--you don't need to feel guilty about it. It's not only necessary, but it's a good thing, a good skill. I multi-task more than I ever had before, and I still forget everything that I need to do and everyone I need to push--i mean, contact. I thought I was good at organizing and administration and logistics and secretary stuff, but apparently I have a long way to go. The millions of tiny little things, people to email, follow-up on, push, get info from, are difficult to keep track of.  My favorite parts about work are definitely the fast pace, the administrative stuff and teaching other people.

Again, nothing has changed since college. I loved helping people, I loved the fast pace of college life, and I did a lot of administrative stuff being part of CBS.

I didn't, however, sleep at 10pm. That has changed. And I wasn't as aggressive. Apparently that's how things get done at this company. Email them, IM them, find them at their desk, call them, copy their manager in the email, ask people where they are, use your manager as a power source to push for you, etc etc. Everyone has a bunch of projects and things to do, so the more you wave your arms at them, the quicker they'll get your thing done.

1 comment:

  1. "Today there was some mandatory boring no-laptops-allowed meeting that I fell asleep in; my coworkers took pictures of me. Nothing has changed."

    I am so jealous that you get to sleep in meetings without getting in trouble.

    ReplyDelete