Monday, August 20, 2012

Random Thoughts

Random Thoughts, because I can't just keep talking to myself in my head

In two months of working, I've played the same amount of tennis as the last 4 years of college. Says a lot about how much tennis I played in college.

At work, I asked an employee about why our Vendors sometimes leave early or come late and she responded: 'well, [anonymous company] people think very highly of themselves. Well, I mean, it is a good company'
Funny. so, people think more highly of themselves when they work for a good company. Interesting that she jumped to such a conclusion. (Maybe I think more lowly of my company because I work for my company haha... jk...maybe..)

I wonder what percentage of people see the company as a whole, and as their own, rather than just things to get done and a boss to please. It's hard to see the big picture unless you're at the top. A friend told me it sucks to work at Apple because you'll never know what you're working on.

I noticed that quite a few people talk about leaving--not seriously leaving, but they just throw it into conversation as a side comment: "yea, maybe I might leave by then". None of them are serious--I mean, because some of them just bought a house. But you know how it is; it makes you feel better. It's a pride thing. It's a I-can-do-better-than-this pride thing. Or, it's a I-don't-deserve-to-suffer thing. It's tempting to think that way, to be prideful. Especially if you grew up middle-class, protected, sheltered and privileged. It's hard to come back to the I-don't-deserve-any-of-this mentality. To be grateful, not thinking that you deserve the privilege to do whatever you want.

Really, all of this is really pointless. I mean, really? Career goals? Ambitions? Social life? Success? Adventure? Seriously? You want to go after all of that and add up your scores on each category and rate how good your life is? Seriously, God will call each person to something different. There is no greater meaning than following after God.

No comments:

Post a Comment