Monday, September 24, 2012

Two groups of friends?

Possible? Two groups of friends that is. (in one location). I wonder how that feels. Or how that works. For me, a lot of my life, it came down to a choice: which group will I hang out with mostly? 

The choice is a choice. It's one of those determining choices, similar to who you sit with at lunch on your first day of High school. It basically determines who your friends are for the next 4 years. And I knew that too--I knew that when I made that choice in High school. I had some Chinese friends who were more extroverted and some Indian friends who were quieter, calmer and more introverted. And I chose the more introverted group to eat with, and for the rest of High School and even now, I barely know the people in the Chinese group. It's a choice. 

Sure, there were people who moved from lunch group to lunch group to "visit" all of their friends, but for the most part that doesn't always work. 

Anyway. I thought about this, because I am beginning to have conflicting activities between work and Church. --as in work friends or work activities, and Church friends/acquaintances inviting me to things. If it's tennis, that's easy. Always choose Church friends over tennis. But if it's like a group activity, or a more intimate activity/hang-out, then I'd most likely choose Work friends. I feel as if, once you stop hanging out with one group of friends as often, you've made a choice. 

The most commonly complained about choice is the: she-got-a-boyfriend-and-never-hangs-out-with-us-anymore complaint. I mean.... whatever man. If he's a good guy and they are serious, then I bless the female friend in her choice. That choice is obvious. Do what you have to do; other people are supposed to understand that one. 

The Church friends one is easily settled if you just set aside that Church service time and that small group time to hang out with Church friends. But you kind of know that there's more to friendship than that. Just like there's more to work friends than just joking around and chatting at work. You have to hang out after work to actually be friends. 

And all of this choice of time leads me to think about how often I choose God. Over food, over checking my email. Over everything else in my life. Why do I have to even worry about keeping my friends? God will take care of it, and God will take care of me. He will satisfy my every need. He will direct my paths and give me wisdom. I am not alone, even when I feel lonely. I am not in need, even when I feel weak and needy. 

1 comment:

  1. I super like this post and can super relate to it. :) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete