Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Feeling useful

I think that is one thing that schoolwork at Cornell never did for me. I didn't feel like someone else needed me to do homework or to do well on a test. It was for my own achievements' and learnings' sake. That's why I thought I liked helping people. But now I realized that I actually maybe like learning more--if I'm learning things that I can use to be useful to others. I actually maybe like doing things for people more than I like teaching people--aka being useful.

But really, what it comes down to at the end of the day, is not about feeling useful or being useful. It really comes down to love. I would much much rather have love, and I sometimes don't know it. Or I forget it.

We think we are motivated by feeling useful, but a greater motivation is love. You would much rather do things for the people you love than be "more useful". And not just motivated by love, but full of love and led by love.

Be imitators of God therefore, as dearly loved children, and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God ~ Ephesians 5:1-2

As a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Live a life of love. As those who are dearly loved by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment