Friday, September 7, 2012

Good testimony

I was just watching this youtube clip/testimony on a sister's blog. It's a really good testimony. "Good", not as in a great story, but as in, it brings you to realize from someone's testimony, who God is. 

Not to mention that it's pretty rare that a Christian talks about homosexuality in a non-compromising, yet truthful and loving, wise way. He gives some wise insight about the identity thing. That your identity isn't dependent on tendencies/attractions. Also, I liked how he said that your days are numbered whether or not you have HIV. So true. 

Actually, back to the identity thing...Feeling good is a big thing. I realized that being a jerk and saying things a jerk would say, feels really good. You feel really awesome and powerful and cool after doing it. Or making fun of people in front of other people, all in good humor, feels great. Being funny, making quick witty remarks feels great. It's the same with many other things in life, like achievement/respect, being-in-love, etc. Makes you feel great about yourself. Doesn't always last. 

Like, I can go to work, feel awesome around tons of people. Make jokes, email people competitively, organize some meetings, feel great about my personality and abilities and cool people I get to hang out with and poke fun at and smile creepily at. Then go home and feel totally different. The adrenaline of feeling useful/awesome and amazing and seeing friends/coworkers at work wears off when you get home. 

I can tell already that there are some people who make work their life (many at the company do), and some people who know that work is work, and life is life. In fact, I was quite pleasantly surprised and impressed when one of my "older" colleagues (40s) started advising one of my new-grad colleagues who was stressing out about the project not able to meet the deadline. The older colleague was saying to the new grad: ' work is work .....don't get your emotions into your work.. work is work. ' --It was pretty funny. He/older-guy wrote like a whole paragraph on the chat system to the new grad. lol 

I actually don't know if there's a "right" balance, or a "right" way to do the work/life "balance" thing. I think it's always what God calls you to do. And you wouldn't really know his will, unless ... (Romans 12:2)

It's only been 2.5 months of working so far. I haven't really made a life outside of work yet, though I am starting to play more sports (tennis, bball). So glad fall season is here; finally small groups open up... And, I do think you do have to invest your heart into work. That's the only way you do good work. We aren't called to do bad work, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment