Saturday, January 28, 2012

One-on-one time

I wrote to one sister during the retreat: we need to have one-on-one time before we graduate.

why did I write that?

Group friendships. They're different from individual friendships. I think it's good to have both aspects integrated in a friendship. Just imagine being married, but not hanging out with other people together--like whenever you hang out with other people, it's always separate. That's weird isn't it? In the same way, it'd be sad to have a friend for so long, but feel slightly weird hanging out alone than in a group setting. It means you're not comfortable being alone with that friend.

And just now, I thought of God. and I wonder if it's like that with God.
That we need to be with Him alone, and also be with Him with others. Jesus had 12 roommates, but He still found a place to be alone with God. And I wonder if that's why it's hard after college--because we had (more of) a group relationship with God, but not also an individual relationship with God. We really need both.

Okay. Maybe I'm making all of this up. But, I do agree with a brother who shared that we need the body of Christ. We grow when we encourage others, and we grow when others encourage us.

I feel the same way I did freshman year. I told someone freshman year that I don't get homesick, because wherever I go, I build my own cloud/bubble/home. and I feel comfortable. That home is God in me. When I'm with God, I feel at home. And now, someone today asked me how I felt about graduating. I said that I don't really think about it like that. I think that this is another semester. And that life will be the same after I graduate. "Why will life be the same?" Because what matters in life will be the same. I will feel the same. I will feel God's presence in me.

I love you God. This is what someone shared at the Living Room Church today. How confident is David to say to God: "test me Lord"! Do we have that confidence? --that we can boldly approach the throne of God?

1 comment:

  1. Yesterdy, I realized someone might have wondered if we just need the Body of Christ alone to grow in maturity. However, just because one should not fall off the right side of the horse does not mean one should then go fall off the left side of the horse! (Martin Luther) I really hope the body of Christ realize this principle.

    Alone time with God is just as essential to one's correction, rebuke, discipline, and growth. But this is ultimately for the Body and for God because the Body is for Christ who is the Head. To be given and poured out for the Body is to be given and poured out for Christ.

    To grow in Christ through alone time is to grow the church as well since we ourselves are never separate from the Body when all of us are IN Christ. This principle is still difficult for me to grasp due to lack of discipline/experience.

    ReplyDelete