Saturday, December 31, 2011

Promise

We pursue things that promise us what we want. But what if the promise was wrong? What if it was a myth? What if they promised us more than reality?

Career-wise, I've come to some conclusions:
1. I will never know if I am interested in something. Because what I'm interested in is largely determined by 1. who I'm working with and how much interaction is involved, 2. how good I am at it, 3. how rewarding it feels.

2. No matter how qualified I am, I can never guarantee myself a job. It's all about connections, economy, chance. "time and chance happen to them all"~eccl. Work hard, pray hard.

3. No career-related promise is guaranteed. "Just do computer science"; or whatever other career/field ... doctor, psychologist, actuary, finance, PhD, missionary, pastor, etc. Many career fields seem to promise certain things, but you never know. And even if they do promise the things you expected, there are sometimes surprise* tradeoffs that reverse/negate the reward. Be informed, but don't trust in career promises.

4. Don't go for the respect. If you want to go for the money, fine. It's a daily necessity, and you can give the excess back to God. But don't go for the respect. It's all imagined. Everyone respects different things. In the end, no one cares. Your personality, dress, how you take care of your family probably factors way more in "respect" by the time you are 35. And if you're Christian, watch out for spiritual politics. Don't go for the respect.

5. Don't be bitter, satirical, cynical, or "realistic". Don't be cynical in the name of being "realistic". Don't rob yourself of joy. Life is not about the promises the world can offer, but all the eternal promises that God guarantees. This doesn't mean: ignore the world and only ever be concerned with spiritual things. Be responsible, work hard, but have great joy that comes from God.

I'm preaching to myself today. Especially #5. I think my cynical attitude comes from thinking I know it all; I know the way life works, and the "reality". But really, I just lack faith in God, and belief in prayer. My mom told me that. She said it's all in my head, this spiritual stuff. I can talk the talk, but I'm not walking the walk. Then she told me all the answered prayer she had recently. I think I just stared at her as she encouraged me for 3 hours. I was like wow, since when did my mom see the importance of a "daily" connection with God? and wow, she worked till 3am on a big company problem/mistake, and then wouldn't let herself sleep, but prayed till 6am for the problem? And wow, God actually listened to her specific prayers about which company to increase orders from? She just picked a random company and prayed for that company! Wow, God tells her things, and it's not like my mom goes around boasting or showing off that God tells her things, because it's not about knowing "things" about people/future, or getting God to tell you things or answer you prayer, but it's about knowing God. When John the Disciple leaned against Jesus and asked "Lord, who is it?", and when Elisha asked for a double portion of anointing, it wasn't about knowing secrets, or having more power, it was still about God. And God getting the glory. It's okay to ask for stuff, and ask to know stuff. God loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment