Thursday, December 1, 2011

God's love makes up for it all

Love covers over a multitude of sins.

God's love.

God's love covers over a multitude of sins.
Not just that, but much more. God's love makes up for all of this. Whatever this is.

Imagine you're at a restaurant and you're waiting for your food. But you waited way too long. And it was the restaurant's fault. Finally the food comes, and before you take a bite, you think to yourself: This better taste amazing. The taste/quality better make up for all the time I had to wait.

Basically, situation B (in the future) better make up for situation A. It better.
As if you had a right to demand the situations that revolve around your life. As if you had a right to anything at all.

I had that thought today, and I've thought it many times without realizing it was wrong.
_____ better make up for all of this. Except it wasn't as logical (or simple) as the restaurant example.

But I realized that God has already made up for all of this. God's love makes up for all of it. For everything. No one and nothing owes me anything, because God has paid it all for everyone.

God loves me more than this. Whatever this is. Whatever is before my eyes at that moment. That thing that blocks my line of vision from seeing farther.

It's so, so difficult to really know that God loves us. And to really believe so.
But the trouble with deep belief is that it costs something...It is so so cumbersome to believe anything ~ from Blue like Jazz by Donald Miller
What is the cost of believing that God loves me? I would have to let go of many many things, both abstract stuff like certain thoughts/feelings, and tangible stuff (people, how I spend my time now, how i imagine my life for the next 50 years). If I truly believed that someone loved me the way God loves me, and if I truly got that, then my entire world would change. What is it that hinders me from truly believing and knowing the extent of God's love for me? Maybe it's because I'm not at the end of my rope. Or because I haven't let go of the rope yet.

1 comment:

  1. what an encouraging meditation on 1 peter 4! thanks jamie.

    ReplyDelete