Saturday, November 26, 2011

Playing as a team

The feeling of playing as a team. Feels quite different than playing for yourself.

When I played tennis doubles, I had really awesome doubles partners. It didn't matter if they weren't as good, or if they were super inconsistent. You always said things like" good job". "It's okay". "YEA [insert name]!!" Or you did the racket hi-five. You can't let the others person know that you are disappointed that they just double-faulted twice in a row. Non-performance-oriented approval always. It's always about boosting morale. More than half the game is the mental game.

I really liked doubles. But I also really like singles. The thing about doubles is you can't do anything too funky. You can't hit the ball as hard as you possible can just because you feel like it, even though you know the chances of getting it in are a lot lower when you do that. You can't hit shots you just "feel like" hitting; pride shots. You gotta pick a reasonable risk. (maybe this is why I wasn't good at singles...pride shots). Well, anyway. My point is that it's different; playing for yourself and playing as a team.

And I think in the Kingdom/spiritual sense, it is the same way. Whenever I think about all the Christians in the world working together and helping each other out, it makes me want to work harder. I love the passages in Acts where they say things like "All the believers were together and had everything in common." This is the appeal of many cults right? Live together and share everything and be missional. Is it because the Acts Church was just forming, or because of the individualistic world we live in today that we're not like that?

Don't think about it. Just ask God for direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment