Monday, December 26, 2011

Legacy

It's really so much easier for kids to do what their parents do, career-wise. They've already got the connections. AND parents can hand down their experience to you/ tell you what to do /not to do / teach you what they know.

It really makes a difference. Legacy. For example

My dad is a programmer. The past several days he's been teaching me java and some basic computer architecture / database knowledge.

My parents know a bunch of people from work/ Church. And basically a lot of my career-related connections come from them.

My mom had a period of time when she was super hungry for God and read tons of Christian books and went to all these conferences and asked people questions about God. Even now, occasionally she will pray for hours. That has left me a great spiritual legacy. Just knowing there was that period in her life where she was that hungry.

In the same way, everything that we do and learn and experience leaves a legacy for our kids and the people we influence.

I was thinking today while worshiping / playing piano, that I'm actually leaving a legacy for my brother. My friend said that her youngest sister (of 3) is the best at piano because she grew up hearing/watching her two older sisters play. In the same way, my brother sees what I spend my time doing, and he registers that as the normal thing to do. Maybe normal is not the right word.

Every family has strange habits. I've heard of families that don't close the door when going to the bathroom (when there are no guests of course). Every family has a particular way of spending money. They do different things on weekends / holidays. They have different conversations when they're together. They do dinner differently.

Be thankful for the legacy you have received. If not from your parents, then spiritual parents, or others.

And that reminds me. Someone who has left me a fairly big legacy. Someone who I would consider almost like an older sister, being 4 years older and having also gone to Cornell. You have left me a legacy. It's okay that you make mistakes, because I learn from your mistakes. Because you share your life with me.

And it is God who has blessed me with these people and this legacy. When you are given much, you must steward what you've been given well, for much more will be expected of you. God, your Father, is proud of you.

1 comment: