Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Supervisor

First "review" today; my supervisor checks up on us (Jared and I) each week; we show her what we did, ask questions, discuss, revise the assignment and add more tasks, etc.

I came out of the review totally blown away. Everything was so unexpected. My supervisor wasn't trying to give off the professionally-nice-but-scary aura, that I kind of felt before. She talked like my mom when my mom preaches to me about life; she tried to guess what we were thinking and then encouraged us with the way life is, or how she first started at the company, or what things will be like when we start our careers. She told us we can feel free to walk around and talk to the other employees and make friends; the company doesn't force employees to work continuously all day. And she said that she is talking to HR to pay us some "allowance money" (something we were not expecting). After addressing any possible potential frustrations we might have had (but didn't voice) and encouraging us, and telling us why+how our work really helps the company, etc, she ended the meeting, but then quickly remembered and asked "oh, and how is Shanghai? Are you enjoying it?" She looked at us when she asked the question too. It was amazing. She covered everything. It was like she just read How to Win Friends and Influence People or something (which by the way, is so good, a must read/common-sense-that-we-don't-realize book). EQ man.

Basically she motivated us with external reward (money), internal reward (how important our job is to the company), and connection/friendship (her friendliness and encouraging us to talk to other coworkers, etc.) I think it kind of worked too. But most of all I was just blown away by how professional and capable/no-nonsense-ish she could be, while at the same time being so genuinely friendly and caring.

This happens a lot to me. I just think about people and am totally blown away at how unique or amazing they are. Really. I can think about my mom (or my dad) and just be in total awe. and probably at least a handful of other people or more. And sometimes, I just think that everyone is so cute, as in their personality or the way they are. And it's so cool that they are so unique and that they tend to have X type of opinions or feelings. I wonder how God sees us, and what He thinks of us. Wouldn't it be amazing to know/experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment