Thursday, June 16, 2011

Glad for Discerning Christians

After work, while walking/metro-ing back, a friend's strong opinion on the idea of 'best friends' rang in my head. Her argument was fairly convincing. I agreed with her but in my head I knew I was open to different opinions as well. And today, her convincing points made think a lot and made me quite insecure. I ended up bringing up this topic to my flatmates and both of them disagreed quite strongly with my other friend.

The Christian flatmate talked about how some people have identity issues, and that my other friend's idea isn't really healthy. The flatmate broke down some of the convincing arguments of the other friend.

So glad to have others around me who can remind me of the godly perspective when I get confused.

Discerning is really hard these days, especially with the subtle messages sent in movies. This one church next to my home (it's basically like a mega church in size), had a "sermon series" where they watched key clips of a popular movie each week (one week Avatar, one week Eat-Pray-Love, etc.) and then the pastor would summarize the movie, play a key clip and then talk about which parts are true and which parts seem to be true, but are slightly off. And of course, he would use the bible to support his point. And then he'd play the next clip or summarize the next part of the movie,etc. At first I was a bit cautious about this kind of service/message, since it's not very conventional to show clips of movies and have a sermon on discerning the movie, but then after coming here, I realized that we really need that. It's the little distortions that are the most harmful. Things that sound like it's Christian philosophy but is just a bit off. Of course I understand that almost all the people I know would still vote for a Church that goes through the bible. I really feel that at this stage, Americans need the former also, and probably more so... you need to help them/us discern the truth, and then we will be hungry for more of the truth and go read the word ourselves or something.

Anyway the Church is Princeton Alliance Church. Here's the sermon series if you are curious. (The link is to the current series: God at the box office. If you access it later on, you'll have to find it in the archives). I only heard the Eat-Pray-Love one which I liked. My mom said she liked the Avatar one too. Neither of us have watched the movies lol, but now we don't need to since they summarize the whole movie in the sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment