Friday, September 24, 2010

Two things I respect

Today I realized 2 things that I respect. These are not the only two things, just two I thought of today.

1.) global focus
Right before thermo recitation began, several people stood up and left. As one of them was heading out the door, I gave him a questioning look. He came over and told me that the President of Czech Republic was speaking. He lifted his hands as a balance scale and was like "thermo recitation ... Czech president...", shrugged his shoulders and left recitation.

I was like wow, that's cool. They left immediately after they found out that the president was speaking. No hesitation, or deciding which was more important. Actually, thermo is a hard class and recitation is almost essential to completing the homework in my opinion. But obviously those people who left were more interested in global things, not preoccupied by the weekly homework grind. It was clear in their minds what was more important

I think it's very hard to do whatever you are currently doing and also be able to have your heart set on things above what you are doing---the greater things, the global things, the things that matter

2.) People who clearly "carry the group" in a project (as in do the most work), but act like they don't. They still value and respect each member of the group and want their feedback/help/opinion... and basically it is clear that they themselves do not feel that they are doing the most work. It takes humility and a servant's heart to get there. The funny thing is they don't even think they are doing the most work. They don't think about cooperation in terms of who is doing more, or what is "fair". That is cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment