Sunday, September 5, 2010

Compliments & Encouragements

I was exploring the difference between a compliment and an encouragement today. And I looked it up.

To compliment someone is to praise them. To encourage someone is to support them to do or continue doing something. So, a compliment would be "you are good". An encouragement would be "keep it up". But I realized that you can also encourage someone through a compliment. It is harder to do though sometimes. Because often we want to be like "wOW you are SOOO GOOD at _____", and it's harder to be like "hey, you're good at this" in a keep-it-up-encouraging manner. (basically it's a difference in intention and tone when we say it. The former leans more towards flattering/adoring).

Anyway, I was thinking about this because I was very encouraged yesterday. so much so that I teared up. I am so blessed to have such a spiritually mature and wise mother who loves and fears the Lord.

Life is short. That was one of the things she said to me.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal ~2Cor4:18

No comments:

Post a Comment