Monday, February 17, 2014

psychologytoday is sometimes ridiculous

I was reading this silly article http://www.psychologytoday.com/collections/201205/when-escapism-is-good/the-power-online-gaming

It claims that sometimes escapism is good, and the example it gives is video games. The example within that is how one woman became a better driver after playing video games because "The windshield became a rectangular viewfinder into a world of obstacles and foes. 'I keep expecting something to jump out and kill me' [is what she says]"


HAHAHA.. Seriously. Who writes these articles? I don't see how this is supporting his/her viewpoint here. If one of my friends starts thinking the windshield is a viewfinder for foes and obstacles and thinks things are going to jump out and kill them through the windshield, I'd be pretty worried

Is that the standard nowadays? As long as escapism and living in your own fantasy world helps you somehow in daily life (ie become a better driver), it's a good thing. Even if you start imagining your house to be a military fort and anticipating things to jump out at you while you drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment