Friday, February 21, 2014

Culture Shock

From time to time, I still get culture shock from living in Albany area, NY.

It's suburban; it's not a deserted place or anything. There's GE, law firms, nuclear research, nanotechnology centers, etc., and decent school districts. It's just the subtle things.

My workplace actually gives me a safe haven,  because the environment there is more of what I'm used to. Fast paced, social, young, tons of Asians, all engineers, similar economic status. Make fun of each other, complain about other groups, coordinate activities/meetings, find out about company business rumors and spread them around.

Sure, at the root of it all, we're all humans and can relate to anyone from any background of any culture and language. Because we're human. We have the same desires (maybe?) , and the same Creator....but still, we can get culture shock

I don't know how missionaries do it. I'd either get severely culture shocked, or get super sucked in (in a harmful way). But then again, if God took me to heaven right now, I'd be super culture shocked too. I'd be culture shocked when I get up there, and culture shocked when I get back down here to Earth. You usually end up remembering the better place, and get culture shocked from anything that isn't as good as the places and worlds you've lived in previously. It's easier to adjust to the better place. Though, of course, refugees or victims of abuse, still have a hard time adjusting to being set free--but that's an issue of healing, rather than being culture shocked at a better world.

What is culture shock? Jesus didn't have culture shock. He had love. He has love. Culture shock is when you are shocked at the culture, and implies that you are too shocked to be able to relate fully (yet) and be integrated into the culture. Culture shock is definitely something we need to get over if we're going to live somewhere for a while. Culture shock sort of implies some form of detachment due to shock, like you're an observer rather than a participant. And that's never a good place to be. Never be an observer. Always get your hands dirty. That's how love works.

No comments:

Post a Comment