Sunday, July 29, 2012

Called in

We call people a lot on night shift--call people after they've gone home, sometimes in the middle of the night we call them. Any hour, as long as there is a high priority thing that needs to be dealt with (and there often are). In the one week I've been on night shift, at least several people have gotten calls.

Today, after working from 7pm to 7:30am, I went home, took a shower, went to Church for half an hour, left before the message started, and was about to sleep at 10am when I got a call from my manager, saying that there had been an emergency and that I had to go back to daytime work schedule as soon as possible.

Despite the fact that I just got accustomed to night shift sleep schedule, I still felt pretty cool getting that call. I felt like I was part of the EMS (emergency medical service... the ambulance on-call people). Okay, so I've never done EMS, but I had wanted to in high school; dad wouldn't let me. But getting an "emergency" work-related call felt like what I imagined EMS to feel like, (except with EMS, it's an actual life-threatening emergency).

Anyway, then I remembered that my mentor told me that she knows a lot of people who really love volunteering for EMS, and that they love it so much that they center their entire lives around it, even neglecting their marriage/family sometimes.

Everyone wants to be a savior, but sometimes we don't realize that we are the ones who need saving.
 who need the Savior. And He is the one who does the saving. When we help "save" others, we do it out of a place of being completely satisfied by the love of God, not out of a need to be needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment