Saturday, September 17, 2011

Good quotes

From Ender's Game. Context: Peter and Ender are brothers and rivals;
Ender is talking with his sister Valentine, --the middle child!

"You don't understand", he said.
"Yes I do."
"No you don't. I don't want to beat Peter."
"Then what do you want?"
"I want him to love me."

This one is from Searching for God Knows What

And this is the thing about life. You go walking along, thinking people are talking a language and exchanging ideas, but the whole time there is this deeper language people are really talking and that language has nothing to do with ethics, fashion, or politics, but what it really has to do with is feeling important and valuable.

--

This is how I've been feeling the past week. I don't want what I say I want, and I don't want what I'm going after. It's not about beating Peter; it is much deeper, much much deeper.


No comments:

Post a Comment