Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fall




Fall is like the transition season. School starts for K-12, and you transition into school mode.  Now that I'm out of college, it's like I'm more in sync emotionally with the K-12 school schedule than the college schedule. Sometimes I see high schoolers waiting for the school bus when I drive to work. Sometimes I play tennis at the high school courts, and I see the football players practicing, and the tennis team playing matches. Someone starts singing the Star-Spangled Banner at the football game and everyone stops in respect. You can tell the Asian international guy on the courts is kind of amused at us all stopping and taking off our hats.

So much American culture, growing up here. Born and raised man. Born and raised. Yet, I've never been to a Corn maze until this Saturday. Didn't know about apple cider donuts until college. Didn't know Hot Cider was more than just heated apple cider--supposedly they put extra spices in it too! I don't look at pies on magazines and go "ooo. that looks so good. Look at that texture!" In fact, I've never made a pie before.

Okay, this totally sounds like an Asian American identity crisis, but it's not. Just thoughts. Just saying. Culture, family background, how you grew up, is a very strong part of what you know and think and kind of who you are in a shallow sense at least. Your standard/ idea of what is a "good job" comes probably from a mixture of family, family friends, college friends, people you know, where you grew up, etc.

So, now what? Who cares? What in this life is worth living for?  Okay, now this sounds more like a quarter-life crisis. Kind of restless sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment