Thursday, August 19, 2010

How do you count cards?

I was playing Dutch Blitz (card game) with friends. Each person playing has a deck of cards, and has to put a stack of 10 cards in front of them, as a part of the setup of each round. So I would hold my big deck of cards in my left hand and use my right hand to count out& place 10 cards in front of me. At first, I would count the cards in my head, 1 2 3.. etc as I placed each one down. My friend next to me would actually count out loud, but in another language so she wouldn't mess the rest of us up, while we counted in our heads. (usually I would double-check myself and count my 10 cards again just to make sure I had counted 10 out--it's easy to doubt). One round, however, I counted my 10 cards out using a different method. I didn't try very hard to focus on counting the cards. In fact, I wasn't even looking at the cards while I counted. I used the swishing sound of the cards as I placed each one down to keep count. Using this method I could count the cards much faster and had greater confidence that I actually had counted out 10 cards---I didn't have to double-check anymore.

After this really cool realization, I stopped the game and asked my 3 other friends whether they focused on counting when they counted or if they counted subconsciously while looking up (not at the cards). Two of them said they counted in their head (or, out loud) and they counted better when they focused on counting. One of them said that she also counted better when she didn't focus on counting but instead subconsciously counted. She also said that she didn't really hear herself/her voice counting in her head, but she just counted subconsciously like I did.

Okay yea. that was really hard to explain. But, it was a really cool realization. because it's really useful, for me at least. Because I tried to count out loud in my head at first, but that didn't work as well for me. But I did it anyway because I thought that was how everyone is supposed count. I didn't realize that I counted better subconsciously, when I didn't focus on counting. I can't help but wonder if there are other areas of my life where I'm trying to learn/do things the way I think "everyone" is supposed to do things, but it's actually not the best way for me.

Isn't God so amazing? We're all wired differently, in very specific and unique ways... even down to the little things like ... counting. And He allows us to discover new things about ourselves, His creation, Him, His Word, etc. It's so rewarding to discover even these little things. How much more rewarding it is to find wisdom, to find understanding, to obtain revelation from God.

I am reminded of this verse, which I think is really rich in meaning

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter;
to search out a matter is the glory of kings
proverbs 25:2

2 comments:

  1. lol that first part of this blog confused me (mainly because how can something be subconscious if you realized it?) but i understood enough to appreciate the connection at the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how people count count differently... interesting!
    God is such a creative Creator.

    ReplyDelete