Thursday, August 26, 2010

Figurative Language


Numbers12:6-8 And he said, "Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the LORD make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream. Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD.

John 16 25"I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech but will tell you plainly about the Father. 26In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf

John 16: 12"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

1 Cor 2:12We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.


Isn't this all so cool? In the old testament, we would have to be like Moses to know God and have God speak plainly to us. But now God has give us everything He gave to Jesus. And He has given us the Spirit who is in us, who teaches us all things.

I came across tons of these verses because I had questions about this one passage: Mark 4:10-12, but then I found the parallel verses which explained it better (Matthew 13:10-15), and then somehow I came across more and more verses on this topic of God hiding things in parables. It is really cool how the bible works--how it's so rich in meaning and how there is no way you can completely understand all of it. And things are more precious when we find it ourselves or when we finally understand it or can relate to it. (prov 25:2?) But God reveals things to us as we seek Him and ask Him.

The more I seek you, the more I find you
The more I find you, the more I love you
~Kari Jobe

No comments:

Post a Comment