Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Approaching Life

My psych book says that "[certain groups of people] are more likely to cope with [certain things] by distraction". which basically means: not thinking about it and distracting yourself so you won't think about it. ("it" refers to [certain things] that people cope with)

I remember in high school when I read For Whom the Bells Toll, I would start to think just like the narrator--very directly, in a straight-forward, "just do it" way. People in the military are trained to obey commands like that--not think excessively, but just to trust the commander and not to hesitate or let yourself get in the way of what you have to do or be.

And that's how I've been approaching life in the past 2-3 weeks. And I realized (with the help of sisters) that eventually, I have to think about the bigger issues of life in a deeper way (not a simplified distracting way), and that I can't keep doing things and distracting myself. I have to face my problems, even if that means my life won't be stable, that I won't be consistent, that I may or may not be "okay". But I still sometimes take this approach to life, just because it's more efficient, and because I need to graduate from college.

We live to love God and love others and everything else that comes from those two things, but then, what are we doing in all other aspects of our lives? why do we do all these other things? I guess all other things that we do are motivated by our love for God, and just trusting Him that what we do is not futile and that there is hope.

Ecclesisates 1:18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

If this verse is true, then Jesus suffered the most sorrow and grief while in this world, since He had all wisdom and all knowledge.

When you're a kid, toys make your world a better place; when you've grown, a big house, good job and lots of gadgets may not be able to distract you or shield you from all the pain and injustice in the world. But only the blood of Jesus, only His saving grace and overwhelming love can comfort you and give you the conviction that all will be okay, and that there is hope for all.

1 comment:

  1. hi Jamie! just letting you know I follow you.. and your blog. your entry reminded me of 2 Corinthians 1

    ReplyDelete