Friday, March 12, 2021

Validation for your pain

I was asked to write a blog post for our women's ministry's blog. Usually people write about something God helped them through. 

After reading my draft, I felt like it was just focused on my past pain; it felt like I was showing off my pain, like: "hey everyone, look at my pain; look at the hard stuff I've been through". But of course it's really subtle. And I know there is a valid reason to describing the details of your pain, because maybe someone else will relate and gain something from it. But, I realized that perhaps my desire and intention was to show off all that I've been through. 

I think it is natural to want your pain to be validated. There is something in us that feels that the pain was unjust. Why did we have to go through that? Another part in wanting validation is wanting respect and understanding.  I really like a quote by Katie Luse :

"Emotional pain doesn't like to be pushed. It needs to be validated, then healed. People are the way that they are for a reason. And it's not generally because I want to be an angry person with rage.. but I somehow got there,.. and so validating that you are the way that you are for a reason..."

"Sometimes honor is all that people need to heal. Sometimes all that people need to hear from you is that your pain matters to God"

I get that there are different steps to healing. The thing is that I'm actually over needing validation. That stage has long past, but I'm still used to presenting my past pain in a way that seeks validation, and perhaps it's like: well, it couldn't hurt to get even more validation even though I'm past that. Who doesn't want more respect and understanding from man? (when we should really be seeking that from God)

There definitely is a balance. Some people are constantly seeking sympathy and validation from people. It seems like it's never-ending. Someone should come up with the 5 stages of getting over emotional pain, similar to the 5 stages of grief. One of the stages should be validation. Now, I'm in the "joy" stage, perhaps the last stage or the step after the last stage. 

 Also, I really like this song by Greg coles, author of "Single, Gay, Christian" (which, btw, is a very good book). Speaking of pain and respect, I respect this guy for walking through the pain he went through, and still choosing Jesus. His book is very well-written; I highly recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment