Wednesday, March 25, 2020

"The cure cannot be worse than the problem itself"

"The cure cannot be worse than the problem itself" - Trump

I know most people are probably angered by Trump's quotes and think he is dumb for wanting to reopen America by Easter. And yes, I agree that that is probably not the best decision (though I'm not 100% sure).

But putting the logical side of me aside, the quote itself makes me sad. There is so much hopelessness and desperation in that quote. It's a lose-lose quote.  The "cure" (social distancing) is almost just as bad as the problem itself.

Then I read news on how India is shutting down, and people there are saying they'll die from starvation before they die from coronavirus. It reminds me that not every country can as easily "afford" a shutdown like the US can.

Reading the news is depressing, but I want to be informed, so I don't want to avoid the news.

This is an encouraging article from DesiringGod.org. It reminds us to change our "What if's" to "Even if".

I think I used to be better at doing that -- changing my 'what if' to 'even if'. But it's really hard right now, without being able to meet physically with other believers. I have community, but community is virtual, which is just different. I feel like most of my friends here live with their spouse or live at home (as in their parents' home), so they have siblings and parents to chat with about the news, or to help them divert their focus away from the news and to food or whatever hobby/games they do at home. I'm stuck with my own mind most of the day, and it's a more uphill battle to keep my mind from being depressed about the situation. And honestly, I don't feel like playing games or picking up hobbies.

I know we're called to have joy, hope in the Lord, etc. But I think I'm just in the mourning period right now. I'm not mourning for today, but for what I feel like will come in the very near future (similar to what this article suggests). I pray and hope God will intervene with a miracle. I forget sometimes, that God does do that. I hope that I'm pre-grieving for things that will not actually happen. (EDIT: apparently pre-grieving is actually called "Anticipatory grief" as cited in this article about the grief many are feeling about coronavirus)

But even if many people die, all without funerals, even if the worst case scenario from this forecast is true, God is still with me and He is good. And there is nothing that can keep me from singing His praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment